Here is my top ten ways to improve your CrossFit gym. Every gym could use a little improvement, even if you are killing it with 200 members and a 300 pound clean. You are a CrossFitter right? You always want more, bigger, better and faster! I will touch on revenue streams, creative ideas and food that will spice up your affiliate and make it the best in town. I have tried all of these ideas and products but do not receive any kickback if you click on the links or buy their products. So this is a my totally non-bias opinion. (I am not sure if that actually exists, everyone has a bias right?)
1) CrossFit Journal- it is $25 bucks a year, probably more information then you can consume and will keep you up to date on all the CrossFit happenings. Remember you have to know more then your members about the CrossFit world. Almost a no brainier for current affiliate owners, but if are just getting into the game then go purchase it right now.
2) Journal Menu- customizable journals for your CrossFit gym. Not only will it act as a promotional product when other people see them around, but you can sell them to your members and increase your bottom line. One of the best things about this product is how customizable they are. From warm ups to nutrition they have so many options it is unbelievable. Oh and do not forget, tracking progress is one of the best things an athlete can do to increase performance and stay positive.
2) Gym Swag- Why should Reebok get all the credit? Make sure your gym is always fully stocked with shirts and hoodies for members and visitors. Everyone loves to wear their CrossFit shirt, even if they only go once a month. The key to this one is getting high quality shirts with a “cool” design. It is your job to find out what your community thinks is cool. If you have this down then branch out into shorts, hats or headbands.
3) Massage Therapist, Chiropractor, Physical Therapist- This is an amazing partnership to have for you and your community. CrossFit is a rough sport, it takes a toll on your body so having another professional on site that you members can use will be amazing for them. You can also get a cut of the mula for all the clients you refer. Yeah, more money in your pocket. There are many different partnerships you can workout, but remember to keep it simple. You can rent space or just have them come in for big events. Either way you are providing another service and it will benefit your members.
4) Recovery Tools- PLEASE READ- I could not be more passionate about this one. I have been involved with CrossFit for many years and I have seen so many injuries. 80% are due to lack of recovery. (20% is chalked up to moving like a zombie while performing oly lifts). Recovery is not taking one day of exercise either. I am talking about getting some solid mobility work in on your entire body. Mobility WOD.com is a good resource, but as the owner and trainer you need to lead by example and have equipment, areas and coaching for people to open up those hip flexors and distract those shoulders.
Do you program Mobility WOD’s? Do you offer yoga or a stretching class. These people need it and are begging for it as they hobble in with rounded shoulders and their legs wound up like rubber bands. Ice bath anyone? This would be an amazing service for your clients. Actually, they are athletes and they need to start taking care of their bodies like they are athletes.
5) Rogue Fitness- The prices can be high, but the quality is unbeatable. Some people steer clear of the expensive price tag and I do agree there are some other legit equipment suppliers out there. But, when it comes to durability the equipment there is some of the best I have seen.
6) Fitrilla.com- obviously these are in no particular order, considering this is #6.
7) Vita Coco- contact them about setting up a fridge in your gym that they provide. You bulk order the coco water and sell it in your facility. They have partnered with CrossFit HQ so that works in your favor in two ways. One, the community is use to seeing the branding and trusts it. Two, they have set up other gyms before and will be happy you want to carry their product.
8 Stronger Faster Healthier- Amazing products that you can also buy in bulk and sell at your gym as another revenue stream. This stuff does not stay on the shelf long with my experience. It is also something that most affiliate owners personally use, which makes members even more incline to buy.
9) The New Primal- People want paleo, they want fast and they want easy. There are a flood of pre made paleo products hitting the market, but the new primal has three things going for it. Good price, good quality, and taste! If you want to hear more about the company check out this interview with Jason the founder Building a Healthy and Successful Business.
10) Social WOD- Track your members workouts online, by just taking a picture of your whiteboard. Straight up magical! People like options and if they can sort and track their workouts with the ease of technology it is something you need to look into. The founders of this company are constantly tweaking the product to appeal specifically to CrossFit gyms. They are adding new features and lowering prices whenever they can. If you are curious about the company check this interview with Kareem one of the founders A Tech Start-up with a CrossFit Twist.
There is the secret list out for everyone to see. Tell me what you like or what I missed in the comments below…